Assistant Food BuyerApply now
Assistant Food Buyer:
This is an excellent opportunity for a buying professional at the start of their career with great commercial and analytical skills to join one of Ireland‘s oldest and award-winning retailers. This role sits with Food Buying Team and the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the team with the delivery and control of purchasing across a diverse portfolio of Food products for the business. The role holds responsibility for assisting in the development of a clear strategy, to deliver improved value for money and supplier performance.
A balance of buying expertise, negotiation and administration skills is required. The successful candidate will work closely with the senior Food Buyers and cross-functionally with other departments including:
Marketing, Buying & Creative, Central Bakery & Kitchen (CBK) & Central Stores (CST) Supply Chain, Business Excellence/EPOS, Food Quality & Safety and Finance
- Use Meridian EPOS to interpret sales data and create reports to analyse product, supplier, category and store performance, demonstrating strong Excel expertise
- Support Senior Buyers in the development and management of categories including forecasting, promotions and supplier management
- Negotiate, with the support of the senior Food Buyers, to achieve best pricing and terms
- Coordinate and schedule supplier training and instore tastings with the Marketing Team
- Manage hamper gifting category including always-on and seasonal for the Food Buying Team
- Work towards achieving the highest-level sell through possible on seasonal lines to be in line with the business expectation.
- Develop and actively maintain a positive relationship across the business
Supply Chain & Purchasing Systems
- Responsibility for onboarding new suppliers from initial contact to finance approval, including uploading all documentation and product information to Meridian EPOS system.
- Work with senior Food Buyers and Stock Manager to manage stock levels to be in line with company targets to reduce potential risks / waste management.
- Analyse past sales patterns and recommend key promotional activities and varying delivery schedules to efficiently manage stock levels.
- Provide cover for Stock Manager annual leave
- Establish and maintain relationships with store General Managers and Food Managers, to assist and enable them in achieving high level of sales.
- Arrange regular store visits with the support of the senior Food Buyers to ensure that products are accurately displayed in-store, according to merchandising guidelines and planograms.
- Work with store staff to reduce out of date stock levels and reduce associated waste/markdowns
Key skills required:
- Two years plus experience in a buying capacity or purchasing role. (food/retail sector preferred)
- Must have a passion for food
- Strong commercial acumen with awareness of spend and extensive experience working with commercial budgets.
- Highly proficient with MS Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint with advanced Excel required.
- Fluent English – written and spoken.
- Full driving licence and ability to travel essential
- Must be able to work independently and multi-task in a fast-paced retail environment
Job Type: Fixed term
Salary: €35,000.00-€38,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kilmacanogue, CO. Wicklow: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Driving Licence (required)